I’m so excited to share with you the last granola bar recipe that you will ever need. Mom to three kids who are often on the go, to and from practices, small snacking windows, we found ourselves often buying granola or “protein” bars from the grocery. We knew they weren’t always the most healthy, but they were convenient, the kids liked them, and it saved me a lot of time making granola bars that never turned out just quite right. Not chewy enough, not sweet enough, not sticky enough, wouldn’t wrap well enough…..
Until this one. This was actually a recipe tweaked by a friend and tweaked again by me (and my kids — yes, the addition of chocolate was credit to them). We love them more than Clif Bars and they are uber healthy made with only a few yummy ingredients. They are NOT nut free, if that’s a prerequisite for school, but they are protein packed and full of micronutrients to fuel you and your kids for a long day.
Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup almond butter
2 Tbsp flax seed
2 Tbsp chia seed
1/4 cup warm water
1. Soak the dates in the water while you get the rest of the ingredients around and ready.
2. Grind the oats in a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and process until combined.
3. Line an 8×8 pan with baking paper or grease with coconut oil. Put the mixture in the pan and press down.
4. Chill the mixture in the fridge for about an hour then you can cut them.
5. Top with some whole nuts or nut crumbles before pressing down if desired. You could also mix in other dried fruit if desired, and of course you can add a dark chocolate drizzle on top for a final sweet touch!!
leave a comment